My Moblog

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Chinese Boys



I love these boys. I love the fact that they make fools out of themselves and do it well. I love the fact that their friend sits behind them in almost every single video they make playing some first person shooter game while these guys just lip sync right behind him. If I was a young girl, these would be the kind of Chinese boys I would wanna date. I like nerds, what can I say?

I have never dated a Chinese boy before - wait, not true, I dated one guy who was half Chinese and half Guyanese, so never a pure breed. Doing so would've only made me more Chinese and more accepted by my parents - and I certainly didn't want that when I was a teenager! But I always fantasized what it would be like to date someone who knew my language and understood the way my family runs. Someone who appreciated the "Sunday herbal soups that cures everything from zits to cancer" or the "Must have the number 8 in everything" - Address, Phone number, wedding date, license plate...and the list goes on. Being with someone of my own race and culture meant not having to calm my man down when he sees the black chicken-head and all, sitting pretty in the soup pot or explaining how important it is not to look disgusted when Mom and Dad burp loudly at the dinner table or telling him that he must eat the very unrecognizable and unappetizing piece of meat that my parents keep giggling about and are very secretive about until after he gulps it down or how it's important to be at every family event no matter how busy we are lest I'm looked at as an ungrateful, and unappreciative daughter. Sometimes its very hard to have to explain every bit of custom and thought process that goes on in my family, then afterwards, pray that the man got it, during. Even worse still, to have to persuade and push when the explanation just isn't enough.

Being in an interracial relationship came easy for me in the beginning. Being so against everything Chinese when I was young made me assimilate very easily into other cultures. It was also quite easy being accepted as an interracial couple here in New York. But as I got older and "the man" became heavily involved with my family - it wasn't as easy for me. Suddenly I was forced to discuss and debate about issues that just came automatically with me and my family. I mean, come on, there are so many other obstacles and issues you face in a relationship but now to have to explain the odds and ends about your culture? All in all I guess it isn't so bad and truly, "the man", tries his best and my parents love him! But it was a tedious time and sometimes continues to be:
"Yes, Chinese New Year is at the end of the month"
"Yes, we HAVE to be there for the first day and the last day"
"Yes, we HAVE to give out red pocket money now"
"Yes, you HAVE to kowtow to our ancestors and all the random and numerous Gods and Goddesses I can't name."
"Yes, you will HAVE to listen to her beg the Gods to not punish her anymore with her ungrateful daughter and son-in-law who still hasn't given her a grandson"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

my friend send me this link too. It's funny!