My Moblog

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Is "the man" more Asian than me?

Like every good Asian, when Memoirs of a Geisha came out, I couldn't wait to head to my local theatre and see people that look like me on the big screen. Every Asian movie that makes it into mainstream Hollywood suddenly brings out my AZN Pride. So perhaps I was a bit biased when Memoirs came out, particularly with the all-star cast that it did - the all-star Chinese cast. I really didn't think much of the popular Chinese actresses being casted to play Japanese women. In fact, it has always been the norm for me to see an Asian role being played by any Asian, no matter where they hailed from. I didn't realize how much of an issue it was to the Asian community until I read about it. But, hey, I thought, they're just actors playing a role and if they do it well, well that's all that matters, right?

The cinematography was beautiful and I thought the actors did a fine job. It certainly wasn't spectacular but I thought it did a great job exposing Japanese culture and their customs. Though not worth all the anticipation spent waiting for the movie to come out, I wasn't disappointed. And yes, I continued to throw my fist in the air and chant "Azn Power! Azn Power!" (Ok, I didn't quite do that, but I thought it!)

But of course "the man" ruined it for me. He said "Japanese women don't act like that! They're subtle and quiet! I hated Memoirs!" I have to admit, the fact that "the man" was telling me that the movie was all wrong because they didn't portray Asians accurately, pissed me off. I mean HEL-LO, White Boy, you look nothing like me! And if they weren't accurate, well I would know that of all people, dammit! I mean that's just part of my being Asian default powers. But truth be told, I don't know how Japanese women act...hell, I think the last movie I watched with any sort of Japanese character in it was in Kill Bill volume 1. I knew there was a good possibility that he was right, but I played my "the-white-man-has-brought-us-Asians-down" card anyway and said "How do you know that's how Japanese women are?! How do you know that's just not the way white people portrayed the Japanese?"
"Well, either way, that's not how the book represented the geishas!"
Oh. Right, the book.
I did read the book - just sorta skimmed some parts.... Although, the author isn't Japanese, so I still may have a card to play yet....hmmm.

But "the man" follows up with: "Anyway, I think living in Chinatown, being married to a Chinese woman, and being assimilated into your Chinese family, gives me a bit more insight on Asian culture than most people, don't you think?"

Bah! I think I'm running out of cards to play....

No comments: