My Moblog

Thursday, August 26, 2004

NYC Teachers Suck! Trust me I know...

On August 24th, Gothamist, Jen Chung writes :
"The City announced a new $36 million program that will team over 5000 new teachers with 300 mentors(veteran teachers) to help the new teachers better acclimate to the NYC public school system and, more importantly, retain them......Gothamist sincerely hope this program succeeds, because if there's one thing that's critical to building the city, it's making sure all children have the opportunity for a great education from teachers who do care. We've heard too many stories about veteran teachers who don't care or new teachers who burn out because the schools don't give them support. We wish all NYC school teachers, new and old, the best for the new school year."
Oh if they only knew the truth...

It doesn't matter how much you care...

Having just finished an accelerated teachers program, I firmly stand by my promise that NO CHILD OF MINE WILL BE ATTENDING ANY NYC PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM. The program I went to was a joke, I admit it. It is a program that will basically give you credits for your money and was truthfully created to get our teachers who were already in the system quickly certified. Sure, you may have to do a little time but what they call "graduate work" is suitable for a freshman in college. I can't say I'm proud that I went through the very same program but my situation is different. Teaching children with autism using ABA is quite different from the educational standpoint. I have also been doing it for over ten years. The teachers in my program were either currently working as teachers or will soon be and many of them were morons. Some were like me, but many of them would just shock you at how stupid they were. And the stories they would tell about the system....oh lawd have mercy! Take one beautiful example, a union rep basically said to us if we hit a child for whatever reason, LIE, no matter how nice the principal is to you, LIE, otherwise you will never work again. Thank god I don't work for the public school system.

The NYC department of education spends it's money on titles and salaries. That's all. It really doesn't give a damn about the kids. There are teachers out there who don't HAVE BOOKS! Don't have books for crying out loud! The special education system is worse. They believe in placing children in the "Least restrictive environment" which is basically saying place this child where they can just adequately make it. Their teaching fellows program was a total joke and truthfully, there's just not enough people willing to sacrifice their sanity to teach for the Department of Ed. And quite frankly, Bloomberg has no business changing the educational system the way he did. He has successfully turned it into a fucking business and not a place of education.

God help the children.

No comments: